The Hario V60 is a conical pour-over brewer designed to allow coffee to extract out of both the sides and bottom of the coffee dripper. The V60's raised ridges along the sidewall enable the coffee to exit from the sides creating an even extraction for all of the coffee in the dripper.
Equator coffee to pair with Hario V60:
Coffee from the Hario v60 results in a nuanced cup with brightened acidity, sweetness, and a light body. Because of this, we recommend our Myanmar, Moegok. Sweet and balanced with flavors of bing cherry, cola and cinnamon really shine when brewed on the Hario V60. Using a Chemex removes a lot of flavors in this lively coffee, and using a French Press muddles it completely.
What you'll need:
1. Place paper filter in V60 sitting on top of glass decanter. Or your favorite mug, just be sure your cup is big enough for the entire brew.
3. Rinse paper filter with hot water. Rinsing the paper filter removes any paper taste, and hot water will preheat V60.
4. Discard rinse water.
5. Grind 23g of coffee. Place in the center of the filter.
6. Place glass decanter and V60 on the scale. Make sure scale is tared to zero.
7. Fill kettle with hot water. (198 - 204 degrees Fahrenheit.) Let your water come to a boil, and wait a minute before pouring.
8. Start timer immediately before pouring.
9. Pour a small amount of water (45g) into the center of the ground coffee, and allow 40 seconds of bloom time. The coffee will expand and then deflate during this period; this is called the bloom. It helps release gas and ensures all the grounds are evenly saturated before brewing.
10. Pour approximately half of the remaining water into the V60. Pour slowly in concentric circles (think the size of a quarter) radiating away from the center of the cone. Pour over the edges for one circle and start to pour back to the center.
11. At about the 1:30 mark, pour the remaining water through the V60 (345g of water total). Pour slowly in concentric circles radiating away from the center of the cone.
12. Serve coffee once filter stops dripping. Total brew time should be 2:30 – 3:15 minutes.
14. Discard filter, rinse your V60 and enjoy your coffee!
Community Engagement Manager
Equator Coffees & Teas