In the latest installment of our Let's Brew Together, we're highlighting a clever way to brew coffee. Do you enjoy the bright and sweet tasting notes from a pour over and the heavy body from a french press? If your answer is a resounding "Yes!" we recommend the Clever Coffee Dripper. Puns aside, this brewing device is an excellent and inexpensive way to brew great coffee at home or on the road.
Equator Coffee to pair with the Clever Coffee Dripper:
Coffee from the Clever Coffee Dripper acts similarly to both the Hario v60 and a French Press. The ground coffee is immersed in water, then passes through a paper filter. This results in a sweet and balanced cup with a medium body. Because of this, we recommend our Kenya Windrush Estate. This coffee is lively with notes of grapefruit, sweetened rhubarb, cedar and baking spices.
What you'll need:
1. Place paper filter into Clever Dripper.
2. Rinse paper filter with hot water. Rinsing the paper filter removes any paper taste from the filter and preheats the Clever Dripper.
3. Discard rinse water.
4. Place Clever Dripper on a scale. Make sure your scale is set to zero.
5. Add 25g of coarsely ground coffee into the filter. Set scale to zero.
6. Fill kettle with hot water. Temperature of the water should range between 198°F - 204°F
7. Start timer for three minutes.
8. Add 50 ml of water to Clever Dripper.
9. After 40 seconds, add the rest of the water to the clever dripper. The total amount of water should be 400 ml.
10. Immediately stir coffee and water mixture in a large circle, twice around the full circumference of the dripper.
11. Place lid on top of the dripper.
12. Wait for the timer to finish.
13. When the timer is done place Clever Dripper on top of a cup or decanter. This will release stopper and coffee will flow into the decanter.
14. Wait approximately one minute for all coffee to drain.
15. Remove Clever Dripper and enjoy the coffee!
16. Rinse Clever Dripper with water after each use.
Community Engagement Manager
Equator Coffees & Teas