POSITION: Associate Roaster
REPORTS TO: Warehouse Compliance Manager
COMPENSATION: $20.00 - $24.00/hour
In 1995, Equator Founders Helen Russell and Brooke McDonnell began their values-driven path, roasting coffee in a Marin County, CA garage. Possessing an obsessive commitment to green coffee sourcing and unparalleled roasting expertise, Helen and Brooke have committed over 28 years to sustainable and fair trade coffee practices all in the name of creating a remarkable coffee experience for consumers. Today, Equator Coffees is a retail and wholesale coffee roaster and coffee farm owner with eleven retail cafes throughout California—from Marin County to San Francisco to Oakland to Los Angeles and beyond. Throughout the years, Equator Coffees has spearheaded industry-leading sourcing and roasting practices, and has forged progressive partnerships with Michelin-starred chefs, specialty grocers, tech campuses, and more. Women-owned, LGBTQ-founded, and an early adopter of Fair Trade certification, Equator Coffees is the first California coffee roaster to achieve B Corp Certification.
Reporting to the Roastery Compliance Manager, the Associate Roaster is responsible for production roasting, QC and QA, order fulfillment, and tasks related to production workflow and Roastery cleanliness.
- Competitive Hourly Wage
- 100% Employer Covered Premium Medical Insurance
(for full-time employees working over 30 hours per week after 60 days of employment)
- Group Dental & Vision Insurance Plans Available
- Employer Covered Life Insurance Premium
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) - Healthcare, Commuter and Dependent Day Care
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - Physical and Mental Health, Financial and Legal Coaching available at no cost to the employee
- Paid Time Off
- 8 paid holidays per year (including MLK Day and Juneteenth)
- 1 paid volunteer day per year
- Paid time for voting on election day
- 401K - Employee eligible after 1 year of employment
- Free coffee
- Roast daily on all production systems: Loring S70 Peregrine, Loring K35 Kestrel, Petroncini, and Probat sample roaster.
- Develop working knowledge of all roasting systems (manual, mechanized, electrical, and digital.)
- Communicate daily with Production Supervisor and Roastery Operations Manager regarding order fulfillment, roasting, maintenance, and green inventory needs.
- Move, organize, and maintain green coffee inventory
- Complete sample roasting tasks and participate in cupping evaluation as directed by Associate Director of Coffee.
- Under guidance from Associate Director of Coffee and senior roasting team members, learn roast theory and roast profiling as it pertains to Equator’s roasting parameters.
- Complete daily and weekly roaster maintenance and facility cleaning needs.
- Participate in "huddles" to understand schedule changes, production issues, and workflow.
- Actively work to grow coffee knowledge via on the job training and personal study.
- Support a collaborative environment through engagement with all Roastery teams.
- Show initiative, present a positive attitude, and a willingness to learn and take direction.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Basic math and computer skills.
- Able to lift, push and pull up to 25 pounds on a repeated basis.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Strong initiative and self-management skills.
- Production roasting experience preferred.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Familiarity with fulfillment, shipping, receiving, and general warehouse work
- Coffee knowledge a plus
The physical tasks described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and read. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position is active and requires standing, walking, bending, stooping and crouching throughout the shift. The employee must frequently lift or move items weighing 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. Job responsibilities can change according to the operational needs of the business. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.
Equator Coffees is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, and discharge will be based on competence, performance and the business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.