A certified B Corporation, Equator Coffees is a successful, growing, customer-oriented specialty coffee company. Equator was voted National Small Business of the Year in 2016 and San Francisco Business Times Top 100 Women-Owned Business for the past 12 years. As a B Corporation, we have both a strong emphasis on producing and serving the highest quality coffees and teas and running a for profit business that is socially and environmentally sustainable.
The Barista is all about hospitality! You want and aspire to deliver an exceptional coffee experience and beverage to every customer in our retail café. You act with integrity & respect, work to create a safe, clean and healthy work environment, provide quality beverages consistently and share knowledge of our coffees, are kind to those you work with and serve and are passionate about coffee. We love coffee, providing a memorable experience and you do too.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Have a passion for our coffee and share knowledge with customers
- Committed to providing consistent quality beverages
- Maintain product knowledge regarding all pastries and food items and staying up to date on seasonal menu changes and communicate product information to customers.
- Confidently and accurately communicate product information to customers by responding to questions, orders, and concerns.
- Maintain a clean environment involving the cleaning of the back of house, bar areas, cafes and patios contributing to a healthy environment for customers and employees
- Properly handle and maintain all coffee brewing equipment.
- Contribute to store profitability by following cash handling and cash register policies and procedures.
- We work as a team! You will assist in the training and the development of new employees.
- Will work at different stations in the café; cashier, food station (if applicable), bar, bar support and dishwashing
- Follow all company policies, procedures and processes and share ideas to make it better
- Attend all individual and company scheduled training sessions and staff meetings to constantly advance education on coffee, tea, merchandise, and espresso bar skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
- Must maintain current state issued Food Handler Card
- Retail and/or customer service experience required
- Coffee experience preferred
- Understands and can make the customer the priority over tasks.
- Is hospitable and inclusive with all customers and co-workers
- Demonstrates a passion for coffee and tea
- Can create productive relationships with co-workers, collaborating and working as a team
- Builds ongoing connections with customer
- You want to learn about coffee and beverages share it with others
- Able to multi-task and deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others
- Respectful and professional
- Cash handling skills.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The hours can be part time/full time based on availability and can increase and decrease due to the needs of the business
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.
Equator Coffees is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, and discharge will be based on competence, performance and the business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.