We are committed to our employees. We pay 100% of the premium for comprehensive health insurance coverage for employees and offer an employer-contribution 401K retirement plan. Equator also pays above-average wages, promotes education, and offers career advancement. We hope to meet you soon.
SAN rafael, CA
Position: Director of Human Resources
Director of human resources
Reporting to the Executive Vice President, The Director of Human Resources leads the development and execution of all of Equator Coffee & Teas’ people operations and programs. Specifically, this includes recruitment, selection, retention, professional development strategy and execution, legal compliance, employee benefits, employee relations, employment practices and procedures, employee communications and events. This position will work strategically and tactically with all areas of the organization and will be called upon to support wholesale and retail operators on a regular basis.
- Oversee and execute the delivery of all HR functions for cafes, wholesale roastery and corporate office, including employee relations, compliance, recruitment, hiring, onboarding, ongoing training and development, performance management, benefits, compensation, payroll and workers compensation.
- Develop strategy and action plans to meet company quarterly, annual and long- term HR goals. Includes ongoing strategic evaluation of the company’s HR function and performance to align with the company values, mission and annual goals.
- Oversee all employee record-keeping, ensuring that all employee files and benefits enrollments are up to date in HR database and on company server.
- Serve as an ambassador for the company values, culture, mission and vision, using them as a guide for all decisions and actions.
- Develop, implement, maintain and provide guidance on all HR and company policies for 100+ employees.
- Advise executives, managers and hourly team members on legal and policy matters including EEO, FMLA, ACA, SFHCSO, ADA, harassment, I-9 compliance and disciplinary action, proactively recommending needed changes to mitigate risk, and facilitating resolution of routine and highly complex issues.
- Serve as main point of contact for HR legal counsel and ensure and maintain compliance with all local and federal laws, regulations and ordinances.
- Conduct regular audits of payroll and deductions, benefits enrollment, labor and all compliance related reporting.
PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT AND EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
- Oversee performance management of all hourly and salaried team members, including scheduling and tracking completion. Write and conduct performance reviews for HR team.
- Manage employee relations issues including employee complaints, performance issues, and conflict management. Direct and assist managers with coaching and discipline process; review all written counseling documentation and witness disciplinary meetings as needed.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
- Ensure that the team is supported in personal and professional growth through career paths, learning and development programs.
- Assist in identifying training needs and objectives to support the growth and improvement of skills and capabilities of Equator’s managers and hourly team members. Partner with executive team, managers and outside vendors to create training content and facilitate training.
- Research, develop, implement and maintain all new hire, onboarding and training programs and materials. Manage access and sharing of tools.
RECRUITING AND RETENTION
- Oversee the full cycle hiring process including recruitment, interviewing, selection, offer drafting, onboarding and training of new management level team members. Conduct all onboarding activities for managers and corporate office staff. Ensure that field managers are following set processes when hiring, onboarding and training hourly team members.
- Partner with executives and field management to develop strategic plans for short term and long-term staffing, company wide.
- Manage hourly and management recruiting administration, updating training materials and preparing training and new hire materials.
- Develop compelling/impactful programs to attract and retain employees that are aligned with company culture and values (team building activities, employee appreciation gifts/events, benefits, perks, etc.). Research and plan annual company conferences, training events, seminars, HR-related development sessions and education.
- Oversee employee benefits and workers compensation administration, serving as main point of contact for brokers, vendors, attorneys and all employees. Research, select and implement new benefits and programs to comply with local, state and federal laws on an ongoing basis. Advise and present to executives and board on complex benefits issues.
- Oversee companywide payroll administration, ensuring that all employees are paid accurately and according to HR policies and labor laws.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment with little direction
- Excited to be an integral part of a rapidly growing company
- Resourceful, solution oriented, self-directed and highly reliable
- Able to travel to multiple Bay Area café locations on a regular basis (approx. 20% local travel required)
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills with impeccable attention to detail and minimal errors
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills and the ability to influence team members across all levels
- Conflict resolution skills
- Strong written, verbal, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to manage a heavy workload, prioritize well, meet deadlines and embrace ambiguity
- Passionate about coffee, and the hospitality industry
- Embrace new and ever-changing technology with a strong commitment to streamlining systems and increasing efficiencies
- Possesses calm disposition
REQUIRED EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Previous HR experience in a multi-unit café, restaurant, retail or hospitality company
- BA/BS degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or other related field
- 10+ years’ experience in human resources with increasing level of responsibility, with at least four years in a management role
- Extensive experience developing, managing interpreting and communicating complex policies and employment related laws, particularly related to ACA, SFHCSO, EEOC, ADA and other Bay Area specific ordinances
- HRIS database management, reporting, analysis and audits
- Experience with leadership development and/or management training initiatives, including the design and delivery of training
- SHRM and/or PHR Certification preferred
Compensation: commensurate with experience.
Email cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org.