Director of Human Resources
Title: Director of Human Resources
Company: Equator Coffees,LLC
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Location: San Rafael / San Anselmo
Equator Coffees & Teas is a roaster, tea purveyor, retail operator and coffee farm owner headquartered in San Rafael, CA. Founded in 1995 by Brooke McDonnell and Helen Russell, Equator’s commitment to a sustainable, transparent approach spans over two decades. In 2016, we were voted National Small Business of the Year and one of San Francisco Business Times Top 100 Women-Owned Business for the past 12 years. As a certified B Corporation, we have both a strong emphasis on producing and serving the highest quality coffees and teas, and running a for profit business that is socially and environmentally sustainable.
The Director of Human Resources leads the development and execution of all of Equator Coffee & Teas’ people operations and programs. Specifically, this includes recruitment, selection, retention, professional development strategy and execution, legal compliance, employee benefits, employee relations, employment practices and procedures, employee communications and events. This position will work strategically and tactically with all areas of the organization and will be called upon to support wholesale and retail operators on a regular basis.
Key Areas of Focus:
- Oversee and execute the delivery of all HR functions for cafes, wholesale roastery and corporate office, including employee relations, compliance, recruitment, hiring, onboarding, ongoing training and development, performance management, benefits, compensation, payroll and workers compensation.
- Develop, implement, maintain and provide guidance on all HR and company policies for 100+ employees.
- Advise executives, managers and hourly team members on legal and policy matters including EEO, FMLA, ACA, SFHCSO, ADA, harassment, I-9 compliance and disciplinary action, proactively recommending needed changes to mitigate risk, and facilitating resolution of routine and highly complex issues.
- Research, develop, implement and maintain HRIS systems, specifically for new hire, onboarding and training programs.
- Oversee the full cycle hiring process including recruitment, interviewing, selection, offer drafting, onboarding and training of new management level team members. Conduct all onboarding activities for managers and corporate office staff. Ensure that field managers are following set processes when hiring, onboarding and training hourly team members.
- Oversee employee benefits and workers compensation administration, serving as main point of contact for brokers, vendors, attorneys and all employees. Research, select and implement new benefits and programs to comply with local, state and federal laws on an ongoing basis. Advise and present to executives and board on complex benefits issues.
- Previous HR experience in a multi-unit café, restaurant, retail or hospitality company
- BA/BS degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or other related field
- 10+ years’ experience in human resources with increasing level of responsibility, with at least four years in a management role
- Extensive experience developing, managing interpreting and communicating complex policies and employment related laws, particularly related to ACA, SFHCSO, EEOC, ADA and other Bay Area specific ordinances
- HRIS database management, reporting, analysis and audits
- Experience with leadership development and/or management training initiatives, including the design and delivery of training
- SHRM and/or PHR Certification preferred
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment with little direction in a growing company
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills with impeccable attention to detail and minimal errors
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills and the ability to influence team members across all levels
- Conflict resolution skills
- Strong written, verbal, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to manage a heavy workload, prioritize well, meet deadlines and embrace ambiguity
- Passionate about coffee, and the hospitality industry
- Embrace new and ever-changing technology with a strong commitment to streamlining systems and increasing efficiencies
We are committed to our employees. We pay 100% of the premium for comprehensive health insurance coverage for employees and offer an employer-contribution 401K retirement plan. Equator also pays above-average wages, promotes education, and offers career advancement.
Apply: please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com