Director of Retail
Chief Operating Officer
This is a full-time, salaried exempt position.
Equator Coffees is a certified B Corporation, Equator Coffees is a successful, growing, customer-oriented specialty coffee company. Equator was voted National Small Business of the Year in 2016 and San Francisco Business Times Top 100 Women-Owned Business for the past 12 years. As a B Corporation, we have both a strong emphasis on producing and serving the highest quality coffees and teas, and running a for profit business that is socially and environmentally sustainable.
This position reports into the Chief Operating Officer. The Director of Retail is responsible for the operations of the Retail Stores. They will create and execute the vision in alignment with the COO and leadership team to achieve outstanding performance and provide customer centric experiences delivered by highly engaged and trained employees. Drives brand loyalty by creating and leading an outstanding internal and external customer experience within the store environment.
This position is responsible for the Retail Operations team, including the Retail District Manager, Retail Operations Manager, Pantry Manager and the Retail Trainer/Coffee Educator with all reporting directly into this role.
- Develops and manages a high functioning team that is highly engaged, provides an exceptional customer experience and delivers strong results.
- This person will work closely with the District Manager of Retail to set policies and expectations that are consistent between cafes, accomplish big picture goals, and ensure standards are met.
- Works in partnership with the COO and Director of Coffee Culture to review/approve store layouts for Store Development projects and new store openings
- Collaborates with and leads of the Retail Operations manager to ensure all facility, systems and technology are sustained and updated as needed.
- Collaborates with and leads the Retail Trainer/Coffee Educator to design and implement training programs covering all aspects of retail operations and coffee education as appropriate.
- Collaborates with and leads the Pantry manager to scale and elevate the commissary program, including staffing, recipe development, testing, ingredient and vendor selection and delivery.
- Collaborates with Human Resources to continuously improve, design and implement training programs covering all aspects of retail operations as appropriate.
- Communicates and partners cross functionally with all HQ, wholesale and roastery departments to provide an unsurpassed coffee experience.
- Provides the leadership, direction and support necessary to achieve budget results and operating plan goals in retail.
- Oversees communications to all cafe locations and field teams.
- Owns store operating policies and procedures, weekly communications to all café locations, training, support and general retail operations.
- Works in partnership with the CEO and COO to evaluate new retail store locations.
- Assist with the executing pre-opening hiring and training, during each new café opening.
- Conducts and leads monthly manager meeting to review financial results, operational challenges, HR development topics, QA, hospitality topics and project roll-outs.
- Ensures system and facility compliance with company policies and with federal, state, and local regulations that impact the daily retail business operations and capital improvement management.
- Leads the appropriate testing, pilots and roll-out plans for retail initiatives
- Analyzes business trends, identifies missed opportunities, and develops plans to maximize performance in all stores
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- BA or BS Degree. MBA a plus.
- 10+ years in coffee shop, café, retail or specialty store management.
- 5+ years in multi-unit management. Coffee Experience Preferred
- Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for coffee, food and the hospitality industry
- Demonstrated, outstanding skills in successfully building teams and partnerships to influence and drive results. Must value and thrive in collaboration and teamwork.
- Successful in negotiating and/or influencing across all levels to gain alignment and successfully implement projects.
- Expects and embraces inclusion of all people on our teams, with our customers and in our communities.
- Embraces diversity of thought and is open to multiple perspectives to achieve positive outcomes
- Responsive, proactive, resourceful, solution oriented, self-directed and highly reliable
- Desire and ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment with little direction
- Demonstrated sense of urgency, strong problem-solving skills and track record of successfully managing multiple projects/priorities
- Proven leadership abilities, including ability to think strategically, develop operational strategies and determine long-term impact of decisions on the business
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- A true operator, comfortable with hands on work, a keen focus on the details, fanatical about cleanliness and a true understanding of hospitality
- Ability to lead, motivate, teach, coach and hold others accountable
- Excellent organization, planning, time-management and prioritization skills
- Strong customer focus. Anticipate customer needs and act to exceed them: continually search for ways to increase customer satisfaction and improve processes.
- Strong customer service orientation and skill set, including focus on people, community, quality, cleanliness and hospitality.
- Ability to travel
Please send resume and cover letter email@example.com
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.
Equator Coffees & Teas is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, and discharge will be based on competence, performance and the business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.