Roasting Plant Manager
Equator Coffees, a certified B Corporation, is a successful, growing, customer-oriented specialty coffee company. Equator was voted National Small Business of the Year in 2016 and San Francisco Business Times Top 100 Women-Owned Business for the past 15 years. As a B Corporation, we have a both a strong emphasis on producing and serving the highest quality coffees and running a for profit business that is socially and environmentally sustainable.
We are seeking an experienced Roasting Plant Manager to oversee all functions of the Equator Coffees Roastery. They will be first and foremost, responsible for the timely and accurate fulfillment and shipment/delivery of daily orders. This position is also responsible for overseeing and management of all warehouse operations, inclusive of inventory, logistics, compliance, facilities and staffing. This position reports into the Executive Vice President. This is a Full time Exempt position.
- Maintains receiving, roasting, compliance, customer service, warehousing, and distribution operations by initiating, coordinating, and managing roasting, customer service, production and personnel policies and procedures.
- Completes warehouse operational requirements by scheduling, assigning and mentoring employees; following up on daily work and overall performance results.
- Coordinate green coffee pick-ups and deliveries with roasting team.
- Work with compliance manager to maintain and continuously improve food safety, organic and OSHA requirements and training. Work with customer service department to ensure timely and accurate roast orders, production orders, shipping labels and customer invoices.
- Implementation and management of inventory control systems for warehouse and storage facilities.
- Maintains pars by conducting physical inventory on an as needed basis, including all coffee, ready to drink coffee, packaging and related supplies, tea, merchandise and coffee related equipment.
- Maintains roastery facilities, including main roastery building and satellite service department building, by planning and implementing new design layouts; inspecting equipment and building systems; issuing work orders for repair and requisitions for replacement.
- Responsible for working with roasting team and facilities team to maintain all roasting equipment.
- Responsible for all production equipment (grinders, loaders, sealers,) and for quality control related to grind consistency, weight control and packaging presentation. Responsible for the maintenance and cleanliness of all Equator fleet vehicles.
- Achieves financial objectives by preparing an annual budget; scheduling capital and operating expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions. Participates in budget and P & L meetings to assure lbs. vs. overtime minimized.
- Maintains warehouse staff by recruiting, hiring, onboarding, and training employees.
- Establish and maintain security, fire, injury prevention and food safety procedures and protocols to safeguard employees, warehouse and contents.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications;
- Contributes to team effort in the commitment of growth - responsible for sourcing additional roasting and production space when the time arrives.
- Oversees the delivery of all product to Equator retail stores and wholesale customers
- 5+ years Warehouse management and production experience
- Treats everyone with respect and kindness and acts with integrity, honesty and knowledge in order to promote the culture, values and mission of Equator Coffees
- Maintains a calm demeanor during periods of high volume or unusual events to keep Roastery operating to standard and to set a positive example for the team
- Track record of meeting deadlines
- Effective verbal and written communicator
- Is thorough and detailed
- Able to drive results through people
- Understands and can work collaboratively with other departments and is a team player
- Demonstrates a passion and drive to be a part of growing a coffee brand
- The employee must frequently lift or move items up to 35 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
This role’s hours will be most often Monday – Friday 8 – 6 p.m. with occasional weekend and extended hours of opening or closing during the holidays.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.
Equator Coffees is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, and discharge will be based on competence, performance and the business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.