Wholesale Coffee Educator
POSITION: Wholesale Coffee Educator – Southern California
- Reports to Accounting Manager in Los Angeles
- No Direct Reports
Founded in 1995 by Brooke McDonnell and Helen Russell, Equator Coffees is an award-winning coffee roaster, retail operator and coffee farm owner headquartered in Marin County, CA. As a certified B Corp, Equator leads with a strong commitment to a sustainable, transparent approach that spans over two decades. Today, Equator operates seven retail cafes in the San Francisco Bay Area and has an expanding national wholesale business.
The Wholesale Coffee Educator builds strong training and support relationships with our partners. This position also requires aligning our partners coffee program with Equator’s vision, as well as quality standards. In addition to simple training events, this role provides basic customer support to our family of wholesale customers. Equator’s customer base is diverse including, but not limited to Michelin star restaurants, specialty cafes, hotels, bakeries, specialty grocery, food service operators, offices and colleges. The cornerstone of this position is a love of coffee and hospitality.
- Barista/Coffee education and training, ensuring quality objectives are met on espresso drink execution, as well as proper brewed coffee extraction/recipes.
- Dialing in/programming coffee equipment to Equator standards.
- Provides support to growing Equator’s business and in turn the business of our partners by providing coffee education, marketing support, basic equipment support and coffee quality assurance, while acting as a liaison between Equator and the brewing partner.
- Maintaining accurate information in Highrise, taking accurate notes, photos, updating loan information, as well as documenting customer interactions.
- Provides support and works with roasting plant personnel, such as Customer Service and our Roasting/Production team, to aid Account Management team in providing solutions.
- Customizes training materials to accounts specific needs/recipes.
- Other responsibilities and special projects as assigned by the Director of Wholesale.
- Three years’ experience as a specialty coffee Barista.
- One-year Barista training experience highly recommended.
- Two years of wholesale account management experience.
- Superb customer service skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong initiative, motivation and self-management skills.
- Coffee equipment knowledge preferred.
- Strong productivity suite proficiency. Microsoft Office, Google Docs, etc.
- Willingness to travel locally and nationally
- Valid California Driver License and clean driving record is necessary.
- Must have your own reliable vehicle.
- Absolutely must be inspired by coffee and coffee preparation.
- Hours of work are Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. with some occasional evenings and weekends required as the business and job demand.
This job includes some work in a clerical, administrative office duties. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and keeping files.
This role also requires standing and presenting to small groups, preparing coffee behind bar at cafes and driving up to several hours at a time between wholesale customers locations in the region.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to see, talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. Frequently wash hands. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- 70% travel throughout local territory
- Occasional overnight travel outside of territory
We are committed to our employees. We pay 100% of the premium for comprehensive health insurance coverage for employees and offer an employer-contribution 401K retirement plan. Equator also pays above-average wages, promotes education, and offers career advancement. We hope to meet you soon.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Email cover letter and résumé to: email@example.com
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.
Equator Coffees is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, and discharge will be based on competence, performance and the business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.