Aeropress brews one small strong cup of coffee at a time. Its compact shape and plastic material make it great for road trips, camping or any type of travel. This recipe brews a very small cup of strong coffee, about 6oz of coffee. Coffee brewed on an Aeropress is so strong that it can be diluted to taste with either water or milk of your choice.
Recommended Coffee to Water Ratio: 1:11 (strong!)
What you'll need
- Aeropress brewer
- Aeropress filters
- Fresh coffee, medium-fine grind (18g)
- Timer (if scale does not have built in)
- Kettle / hot water (200g) just off boil at 205°
- Carafe or mug to brew into
- Place the Aeropress filter in the base and lock onto the brewer.
- Rinse the brewer with hot water to wet the filter (removes any paper taste).
- Grind 18g of your choice of coffee on a medium-fine setting. Pour into the brewer.
- Place your brewer onto a cup/carafe and place both on a scale. Tare to 0.
- Start your timer and pour 50g of hot water quickly into the Aeropress to start the bloom. Place the plunger into the Aeropress just enough to seal the top - this will stop the coffee from dripping out of the bottom too much.
- At 45 seconds, remove the plunger and stir for five seconds. Quickly pour the remaining 150g pf water. Place the plunger back in the top of the Aeropress to prevent dripping.
- At 1:45, push the plunger down slowly (aim for 30 seconds) until you hear a hissing sound.
- Dilute brew to your tastes (initial brew is strong!).
- Discard the coffee grounds into the compost by first pulling back the plunger slightly, removing the base, then quickly pushing the plunger all the way down. The spend coffee should come out in a puck along with the filter.
Pro Tips: Use your Aeropress brew similar to espresso! Dilute with warm or cold milk for a latte-like experience, or brew directly over ice for a quick flash brew.